The essential resource and guide to African American spirituality and traditions.
This is a fabulous resource for anyone who wants to understand African American spirituality, shamanism, and indigenous spiritual practices and beliefs. It is designed to be informative while providing hands-on recipes, rituals, projects, and resources to help you become an active participant in its wonderfully soulful traditions.
Inside you will find:
1. A celebration of healing, magic, and the divination traditions of ancient African earth-based spirituality
2. An explanation of how these practices have evolved in contemporary African American culture
3. A potpourri of recipes, rituals, and resources that you can use to heal your life
Among the topics covered:
- African spiritual practices of Santeria, Obeah, Lucumi, Orisa, and Quimbois
- Hoodoo—and how to use it to improve your health
- Ancient healing rituals and magical recipes of Daliluw
- Talking drums, spiritual dancing, clapping, tapping, singing, and changing
- Power objects, tricks and mojo bags, and herbal remedies
Previously published as The Big Book of Soul.
“The Healing Power of African American Spirituality by the illustrious Stephanie Rose Bird is a timely and much needed inclusive contribution to humanity’s spiritual awakening and evolution at this time. Ms. Bird gives us richly textured, detailed descriptions and powerful histories about numerous, authentic African, African-American, and Caribbean spiritual traditions and holistic health cures for the mind, body and soul. Each Afro-centric culture Bird discusses offers their own uniquely captivating and sparkling messages about how to live one’s best, magickal life inspired by the ancient beauty and truth of African spirituality. If you want to deepen and diversify your spiritual practice, you must add this book and Bird’s other titles to your collection.” — Ifeanyi C. Oshun, author of Cats, Cauldrons, and Corsets and owner of Imaginate1111.com
“Stephanie Rose Bird invites readers to get rooted in the gifts of nature energetically with our Ancestors as our guides to an unbound future. This book shares African spiritual truths that permeate the African Diaspora and become accessible for our healing and peace.” — Omilade Janine Bell, Founder & Artistic Director, Elegba Folklore Society